Immigration has a significant impact on many aspects of life in the United States, from the workforce and the classroom to communities across the country. As such, many seek to know more about those who were born abroad and now make their lives here, whether as naturalized citizens, legal permanent residents, refugees and asylees, international students and others on long-term temporary visas, or unauthorized immigrants.
The Mexico-Texas border remains the world’s largest migration corridor. Mexicans are still the largest single group apprehended by US border officials but last year, for the first time, they were outnumbered by the combined total of other Central Americans. Mexican migration has dropped, thanks to Mexico’s improved economic circumstances, but worsening security situations have prompted large numbers of Hondurans, Salvadoreans and Guatemalans to journey north along a series of well-travelled routes. The recent arrivals have included tens of thousands of unaccompanied children.
The top-5 U.S. states by number of immigrants were:
- California (10.3 million);
- New York (4.4 million);
- Texas (4.4 million);
- Florida (3.8 million);
- New Jersey (1.9 million).
How many immigrants have entered the United States since 2000?
- 29% of the 41.3 million foreign born in the United States in 2013 entered between 2000 and 2009, 10% have entered since 2010, and the majority (61%) entered before 2000.
How many immigrants are naturalized U.S. citizens?
- In 2013, close to 47% of immigrants (19.3 million) were naturalized U.S. citizens. The remaining 53% (22.1 million) included lawful permanent residents, unauthorized immigrants, and legal residents on temporary visas, such as students and temporary workers.
- Of the 19.3 million naturalized citizens in the U.S. population as of 2013, 15% have naturalized since 2010, 36% between 2000 and 2009, and 49% prior to 2000.
What is the racial composition of the immigrant population (2013)?
- 48% reported their race as white;
- 26% as Asian;
- 9% as black;
- 15% as some other race;
- more than 2% reported having two or more races.
How many immigrants are of Hispanic origin?
- In 2013, 46% of immigrants (19 million people) reported having Hispanic or Latino origins.
How many Hispanics in the United States are immigrants?
- The majority of Hispanics in the United States are native born. Of the 54 million people in 2013 who identified themselves as Hispanic or Latino origin, 35% (19 million) were immigrants.
Sources: Migration Policy Institute